BENCHWARMER

>> Monday, April 27, 2009

Ramon Dacawi
Family roots

The YMCA of Baguio has opened a crash course on Cordillera dances and culture as part of its annual “Summer Frolics” concentrated on basic training in martial arts and ball games. . The class on culture, originally set for a week, has been extended until May 13, timed with the closing of the sports-oriented over-all summer program.

This means you - yes, you - can still sign up, The course can help fill that void we commonly feel when we lay claim to being Cordillerans, yet can’t distinguish a “solibao” from a “gangsa”.

Aimed at heightening cultural awareness, sensitivity and a sense of identity, it drew several kids and youth here and in Benguet. Some were brought in by their parents who appeared more excited than the enrollees. On the first day, the kids were asked to interview their parents on their family roots and submit a written report the next morning on what they found out about genealogy.

Here’s one piece, from 21-year old Freda Dao-ines who recently passed the nursing board examinations: “When meeting people from (the) “il”i (village), two questions are bound to be asked: “Taga-ano ka (From where are you)?” and “Makin-anak ken sik-a (Whose child are you)?” The first question often bugs me, and, with the latter, I could only give my parents’ and grandparents’ names but couldn’t determine their roots.

“I guess I made a sort of progress with my “identity” issues when I enrolled at YMCA’s cultural dance program, hoping to make a small dent on my ignorance. As part of the course, we’re to trace our lineage (which I’m as ignorant of as with most things concerning my ethnicity). With dad’s assistance, we were able to trace up to six or seven generations in my dad’s side of the family, although a bit crude.

“I’ve always thought I’m e-Mt. Province (from Mt. Province) but recently found out my paternal ancestors were e-Benguet! Boliklik was e-Pan-ayaoan (a sitio of Loo, Buguias). He married Dangayan and from this marriage came Sayudot. Sayudot had three wives; his third wife bore him a son named Ganawed.

“Ganawed married a woman from Dakudak, Tadian where they settled. From this union came Polawes Dao-ines, simply known as Dao-ines. Dao-ines traveled as far as Kabayan, Buguias, Bakun, and Kibungan because of his herd of nuangs (carabaos). The late Dao-ines Awal, once a prominent citizen of Buguias, recalled how he was named after Polawes Dao-ines. According to him, Dao-ines happened to pass by their home at the time of his birth and Awal’s parents thought they’d name their baby after their visitor. I was told it’s an honor then to name your child after the sort of person with several nuangs.

“Polawes Dao-ines married thrice – to Simona, Tupayna, and Bodakan. My grandfather, Santos Dao-ines, was Polawes’ son with Simona from Dakudak. The family decided to use Dao-ines as their family name.

“Santos married Lubaya, the only daughter of Baguyos and Acnaya, from Cadad-anan. Unfortunately, that’s the only information we were able to dredge up on my paternal grandmother. Santos and Lubaya settled in Pandayan because that’s where most of my grandma’s rice paddies were. My father Fred, their fifth son, married the late Aida Gaengan from Besao.

“All the while, I thought my ancestors were “pure” e-Mt. Province, making me one. My parents just settled in Loo, Buguias because that’s where their teaching jobs were. I used to be embarrassed whenever I was asked “e-Buguias ka?” just because I spent my formative years in Loo. There’s a running joke that, basta e-Buguias (if from Buguias), one has an Elf or two and tracts and tracts of vegetables (something we hardly own!).

“On the other hand, I sometimes find it awkward to say I’m from Mt. Province when I don’t know much about my parents’ ilis. I was born in Besao so technically I’m e-Besao. I’ve only visited Besao and Tadian during summers when I was younger. Some people use the local idiom “chopsuey” on me, and I myself, am confused as to where I am really from. I guess now, knowing my ancestors and from where they came, it shouldn’t really matter if I’m e-Benguet or e-Mt. Province – I could lay claims on both!”

A 10-year old girl wrote: “I was named Melody Grail (Apilis) because my mom said she would name me Patricia Grail but my father said Patricia Grail would be more beautiful when changed into Melody Grail.”

Melody’s class couldn’t wait to try the gongs. The expected cacophony immediately rang out of the Y audio-visual room when a complete set arrived Tuesday. Soon, the discordance began to fade away, given the patience and passion to pass on the Cordillera rhythm of culture-bound volunteer teachers Manny Gayao, Gilbert Gano and Jason Dumling (e-mail: rdacawi@yahoo.com for comments).

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

Web Statistics